Join in the Fun with fellow LA Illini. Join our email list and find out about upcoming gamewatches, discounts and other events. See you soon at one of our events soon. GO ILLINI!! Lisa Winger, Club Leader
Illini vs. North Carolina
September 10, 2016
Game time: 4:30 PM
Location: Sharkeez, Hermosa Beach
Free street parking is available at the Library/Police Dept. up the street on Pier Avenue or in the lot behind the skateboard ramps.
The Lovie Smith Era continues as we host North Carolina this weekend. Good start last week with the 52-3 win over Murray State. I felt a little like an Ohio State Alumni with the point spread. Haha And for this week shockingly there is a Tim Beckman connection. Read on for more.
SIGN THE CARD FOR LOVIE! We are sending Coach Smith a card from the club to say good luck for the season. Come to the game watch and add your name. We will have it available at this game and next week’s game on Sept 17.
ILLINI GAME NOTES
- In the Negative: The Illinois defense held Murray State to -10 yards rushing, the lowest total in the nation by a wide margin – the next closest is Miami (FL), who held Florida A&M to 22 yards on the ground. The last time an opponent had negative rushing yards against Illinois was Western Michigan (-6) in 2012.
- Dominant D: After one week of play in 2016, the Illini defense leads the nation in rushing yards allowed (-10.0 ypg), and ranks third nationally in sacks (6.0), sixth in scoring defense (3.0 ppg), sixth in turnovers gained (3), ninth in tackles for loss (11.0), ninth in interceptions (2) and 10th in total defense (165.0 ypg).
- Breakout RB: Junior RB Kendrick Foster rushed for a career-high 118 yards against Murray State on just four carries. His 29.5 yards per rush set an Illinois record, breaking the previous mark of 25.3 by Abe Woodson vs. Iowa State in 1955 (3-76). Foster had two 56-yard touchdown runs against the Racers on back-to-back drives. He entered the game with 78 career rushing yards.
NORTH CAROLINA CONNECTIONS
- Saturday will be the fourth meeting between the Fighting Illini and North Carolina, and the second in Champaign. The Tar Heels have won all three previous meetings, 27-0 in Champaign in 1971, 34-14 in Chapel Hill in 1987 and 48-14 last season in Chapel Hill.
- North Carolina head strength & conditioning coach Lou Hernandez spent seven seasons in the same role at Illinois under former head coach Ron Zook (2005-11).
- Former Illini coach Tim Beckman spent part of 2016 training camp working with the Tar Heels as a volunteer coach.
- Illinois sophomore RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn, Illinois redshirt-freshman DB Cameron Watkinsand UNC freshman WR Rontavius Groves all attended Pearl-Cohn HS in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Illinois senior WR D.J. Taylor and UNC junior WR Jordan Cunningham both attended University HS in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- UNC freshman TE Noah Turner is a native of Mundelein, Illinois (Carmel Catholic HS).